Wednesday, November 3, 2010

General Life Updates

The following are a few general life updates and anecdotes:

Qasid: Classes are keeping me undeniably busy. There are days when I feel like I am trying to stuff so much Arabic into my brain that when I try and use the language, all of the information tries to spill out and I end up sounding ridiculous. We are learning vocabulary, grammar and writing style in my MSA (Modern Standard Arabic) class. It is a lot to think about. When I try and speak, I try to find the right combination of all of these factors which can be difficult especially when I am put on the spot. My ammiyya class is useful. Although, I am not a fan of it being for two hours in the evening. Media is good. I try to listen to and read the news in Arabic which helps with this class.

I have told Qasid that I will be staying for another session. I feel I have so much more to learn! I would absolutely benefit from another term focusing on Arabic. If I have any intention of sitting in on classes at the University of Jordan, I need to make sure I can understand what is going on.

Change: I don't think I have ranted about getting change yet. Here's what made me think of this: a few days ago, I was sitting in a coffee shop in Shmeisani doing some homework. I looked out the window to see a man standing on the side of the road waving a 10 or 20JD bill at passing cabs. He didn't actually want to be taken any where. He wanted change. After a few minutes, a cab pulled over and handed him change through the window. Here is the story with change: a bill over 10JD can't be used any place that isn't a bank or large store (i.e. Safeway, Food City). Bills 10JD or smaller can *generally* be used at dukans (small shops that line the streets) and hopefully there will be change. Occasionally, if you have a 5JD note and you went for a longer cab ride, you might be able to get change from the driver. I have made several trips to the grocery store for the simple necessity of getting change for the bills given to me by the ATM. This is simply a phenomenon that I don't understand. Everyone wants small bills, everyone uses small bills. I know that cabs and dukans have change sometimes. It just seems like everyone is hoarding their small change! I don't understand. You would think that if everyone uses small notes then there would be plenty around to get change with. I'm still trying to figure this one out. In fact, this morning I will probably have to go to food city to buy something I don't need so that I can get change. Kind of absurd isn't it?

The Weather: I am not going to write on this topic for very long. Suffice it to say, it is the beginning of November and today's high will be close to 80F. What is that?? 

Graduate School: I am working on graduate school applications for the Fall of 2011. It will be interesting trying to take the GRE again in Jordan. It is possible although not entirely convenient. Also, thank goodness for skype! I have been using skype to make various inquiries at graduate schools. 

Elections: Parliamentary elections in Jordan are next Tuesday. Elections here are... different. For starters, campaigning is limited to about a month before the election. I remember that overnight signs had been plastered on every possible location in the circles and along the streets. TV ads for candidates are pretty much nonexistent. Candidates use text messaging to campaign. Additionally, candidates can be contacted by texting their phone number. Betsy texted a few candidates asking to meet with them. She got a response from one of them who was willing to set up a meeting with her. In terms of casting votes, loyalty belongs to the clan. You vote for the member of your clan that is running for office. Additionally, it is not unheard of that two people from the same family will run for office, and for fear that the vote might be split, the clan will tell one of the two to withdraw their candidature. British Peter has been doing his internship work for the British Embassy on the elections. It is an extremely interesting topic especially considering the clan nature of Jordan and some of the tactics that are used to secure votes. Interestingly, I saw signs with two different Al-Lozi names (also the name of my Arabic instructor at Miami). I inquired with him and, sure enough, they are both his cousins. Running for the same office. For Jordan, how unsurprising.

Upcoming Travels: On Friday, I am going to one of Jordan's wadis to go hiking. This will be an all day adventure that will involve hiking and wading though chest-deep water. I hear there are waterfalls. It would be nice if the weather would stay around 75 or 80 degrees for this trip. 

In a little less than 2 weeks, I am off to Cyprus! We have rented a car and an apartment for 4 nights. I don't have a great idea about what to expect. I am truly just excited to go. 

Once I get back from Cyprus, it will be less than 1 month until I get to go home for 2 weeks for Christmas! I am even more excited about this. I cannot wait. I am anxious to see home and everything about it. I have plans to fill one suitcase with food for the trip back- instant oatmeal, fruit snacks, peanut butter and splenda are all on my list so far. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you have a lot going on, I'm so excited for you that your Arabic is improving so much! Where are you applying to grad school?

    ReplyDelete