Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Jordanian Father...?

There are two things that happened yesterday that I would like to share:

First, during a cap ride from Abdoun to 7th circle, I had the nicest exchange with my cab driver. I got in the cab and told the older driver where I was headed. He asked where I was from and once I told him I was American, we launched into a conversation about Arabic and English. He told me I was a clever girl for learning Arabic so well- after this statement, I couldn't help but to like him. He shared with me some essential phrases in Arabic and asked me for advice about learning English. He said I was funny (obvious truth). Then, he proceeded to tell me about his 6 children (4 boys and 2 girls all my age or older). Here's the kicker: he tells me that while I am in Jordan he will be like my father- that if I need anything I am to call him. If I have any questions about Arabic or about anything else- I should call him. I probably will sometime.

Second, we had a few guests over for dinner. Two of them were Fulbrighters that had been deported from Syria not 48 hours ago. Their crime? Who knows. It was interesting talking to them about their experiences in detention and leaving Syria. Surprisingly, they had been contacted by the foreign minister who told them that they could return to Syria and the deportation would be erased from their records. At the time I spoke to them, they were debating whether or not they should return to Syria versus staying in Jordan. Kind of a surreal story, isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. !!!! I think I'd go with 'terrifying' over 'surreal' (and, I'll admit, also kind of fascinating). Must have made for a very interesting story!

    ReplyDelete