Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Level Four. Week 2.

This is my second week of Level 4 at Qasid. This term, there are 10 people in my class (this is quite a jump from my 4, sometimes 5, person class last semester). Ten people give the class a much different dynamic. There is a noticeable range of ability even within ten people. Some are better at vocabulary, some at speaking, some at reading and some at making the class fun. The range of skill means that I have an ability to learn from my peers in addition to learning from the instructors. 

Level 4 is divided up in to two parts. For the first portion, Fahdi teaches literature. So far, we have read a couple of short stories in addition to writing a short story of our own (that had to use symbolism!). My story was pretty ridiculous. It was about a tree. I think I can leave it at that. The second section of class is media taught by Dr. Mohammad. For the first week we discussed women's issues and women's rights. This week we are covering the environment and next week is Jordanian history and civilization.
Supplemental courses haven't started yet so I don't have as much work to do as I did during the middle and end of last term. My free time is a little difficult to deal with. I am thinking more and more about trying to find a way to take piano lessons here. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be a good idea. I feel an acute need for a creative outlet.


In other news, riots broke out in the southern city of Ma'an last week. The riots began after two men were killed as a result of rivalry between Bedouin tribes. Protesters were upset about the failure of Jordanian authorities to arrest the those behind the killings. Ma'an is a stronghold of local tribes and is traditionally defiant of the central government. To read more about the riots: http://www.jordantimes.com/?news=33187

Betsy showcasing a POMELO
Apples to Apples goes gangster? In Jordan?
Arabic Scrabble success!

1 comment:

  1. Wow - Arabic Scrabble? I think it's great that you are discussing woman's issues and history. I still can't believe you are doing all this! Mom

    ReplyDelete