Friday, September 10, 2010

Quran Burning and Mosque Building

There are certain topics and subject matters that cannot be left without a response. The United States has been afire with controversy regarding building an Islamic center close to Ground Zero for the past few weeks. Currently, Florida pastor Terry Jones is threatening to burn a Quran. I find it difficult to convey the passion with which I vehemently oppose such an ignorant and hate-inciting action. As I find myself in the welcoming company of many Muslims, I am almost ashamed to identify myself as an American. How can I respond to the questions about these news stories? How can I convince these people that America is a tolerant society, welcoming of all faiths?

Enough is enough. What is it that we are afraid of? Why are you afraid of an Islamic center close to ground zero? Why are you afraid of Islam? What is in the Quran that makes you so fearful? I have a sickening feeling that there are many people who would respond with "I don't know." Go figure it out! Take the 15 minutes to wikipedia Islam (link included!) and understand what the tenets of the faith are. Go read about the vast similarities between Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Ignorance is a choice. My fear is that too many Americans have chosen ignorance.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am afraid to say it Paula, but, it is a willful ignorance by intolerant bigots.

    Mark Twain said:
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Paula! You make your Aunt proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Paula, i really wish if people to choose to know more about us.. we are just a humans with a religion..i already got an Event of "Don't Burn the Quran Learn About it" here is the Link it's really growing and it's created by a an american guy (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=145498728818520) i just really wish if people understands more..and one thing from my experience at the US ,i Blindly agree with you are a tolerant society but this happens anywhere there is always gonna be this group of people who wanna mess up with every thing, god bless you bye

    ReplyDelete